Bethlehem Tomboys Girls’ Softball League, Inc.
P.O. Box 221, Delmar NY 12054
Rec League Q&A - 2019
1) WHO SHOULD I CONTACT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS?
Please see our Board of Directors page to see the roles that various Board members play so that you may determine who to contact.
2) HOW OLD MUST MY DAUGHTER BE TO PLAY?
Your daughter must be currently enrolled in grades K-12. Pre-schoolers are not eligible.
3) WHAT ARE THE AGE GROUPS/DIVISIONS?
There are 5 divisions - 6 & Under, 8 & Under, 10 & Under, 12 & Under), and 14 & UP.
The divisions are based on a players age as of January 1st of the corresponding season. Please note this means that a player whose birthday is January 15, 2006 would be 12U eligible for the 2019 season as they turn 13 after the calendar season begins. A player born on December 31, 2005 would NOT be 12U eligible as they have turned age 13 before the 2019 calendar season has begun.
For 2019 you should register your daughter accordingly:
-6 & Under: girls with birthdays in calendar year 2012, 2013 or 2014
-8 & Under: girls with birthdays in calendar year 2010 or 2011
-10 & Under: girls with birthdays in calendar year 2008 or 2009
-12 & Under: girls with birthdays in calendar year 2006 or 2007
-14 & UP: girls with birthdays in calendar years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2005
Note: Parents/Guardians may request in writing that their daughters be eligible to 'play up' in the next higher division. Requests must be made in writing to
- VP of Rec &
4) HOW ARE TEAMS SELECTED?
In the 6U and 8U divisions, teams are selected randomly, albeit with an effort towards peer grouping and school groupings if possible. In the 10U, 12U and 14&UP divisions, teams are selected based upon a draft, which occurs in late winter. Players are notified of their team placement soon after.
5) CAN MY DAUGHTER BE ON A TEAM WITH HER SISTER OR HER FRIENDS?
Siblings in the same division can be drafted together or separated, at your request. We can no longer honor requests to place peers on teams together at any age level. Needs can be presented to the VP of Rec and League President, but not guarantees can be made.
6) MY DAUGHTER HAS NEVER PLAYED BEFORE. DOES SHE NEED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE PLAYING SOFTBALL TO REGISTER?
We welcome girls at all age and ability levels. In fact, instructional clinics are held to provide girls with the opportunity to enhance their skills. Watch the website or our Facebook page for updates and then register for them. (Please note that clinics may be offered for a nominal fee.)
7) WHAT IF WE DON'T LIVE IN BETHLEHEM?
The majority of girls are from the towns of Bethlehem and Ravena, but any girl residing in Albany County is eligible to play. In limited instances, we may allow a girl from outside of Albany County to play as well.
8) WHEN IS THE REC SEASON?
Rec season runs from Late April (around April 20th) to Mid June (around the 15th). Teams generally play 12-14 games, and rained-out games are rescheduled.
9) WHERE, WHEN & WHAT DAYS ARE PRACTICES?
Each team will be assigned a weekly practice time. In the 6U division, once the season starts, practice time is combined with game time whereby the girls practice for about 45 minutes and then play for 45-60 minutes. In all other divisions, we strongly recommend that coaches continue to hold practices once games begin, as this is the time when the most instruction can take place. Teams begin practicing around April 8, pending the ability of the fields to be open.
10) WHERE & WHEN DO WE PLAY GAMES?
ALL games are played at Line Drive on fields 8,9. Weeknight games are played at 6:00pm (players are generally expected to arrive at 5:30 to practice/warm-up). Weekend games are played at 9am, 11:15am, 1:30pm, 3:45pm, and 6pm. All divisions play in these time slots, typically two games per week. 14up games are played mostly on Saturday and Sunday afternoon prior to Memorial Day. There will be a handful of weeknight games prior to Memorial Day to accommodate scheduling. This is subject to change annually, depending upon the number of teams we have.
11) WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED TO PROVIDE?
The league supplies basic equipment including batting helmets, bats, balls, fielders masks, and catcher’s gear. All players, with the exception of 6U, will be required to wear a protective fielders mask. The league will supply these at Elm and Line Drive for any player who does not own them. Note the masks are LEAGUE EQUIPMENT and must remain at the fields at all times. However, you may choose to purchase these on your own. Included in the registration fee are: team shirt (for all divisions), ASA registration, insurance, umpire fees, and basic equipment. You will need to provide:
• Softball Glove
• Cleats (rubber mold ONLY, no metal cleats are allowed)
• Sliding Shorts (recommended for 10U, 12U and 14&UP divisions)
• Sliding Pads (sliders to protect below the knee – for 10U, 12U and 14&UP divisions)
• For Safety, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that girls use a mouth-guard.
12) ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL TRAINING AND/OR CLINICS?
Yes - Please watch the website or our Facebook page for information regarding clinics to be held and register on-line if interested. (Please note that clinics may be offered for a nominal fee.)
13) HOW CAN I HELP OUT?
There are many ways! Each team needs volunteers and your support is key to ensuring a successful league for the team. Your fees do not pay any salaries – we are all volunteers! If you cannot assist in any capacity you will be required to pay an opt out fee during registration. This fee is $45 for 2019 season. Here are positions you may consider:
• Manager: Total administrative and operational responsibility for your team.
• Coach: Primary role is to teach the girls and assist the Manager
• Team Parent: Administrative right arm of the Manager ensuring that non-operational tasks required are supported and that the league communication loop is open to all parents.
• Field Prep: Drawing baselines and equipment set-up/storage (training available)
• Sponsor: You or your company can help Tomboys continue to provide an great playing experience for the girls by recruiting or being a sponsor. Please click here to access the sponsor form and let us know what you’d like to do.
14) WHAT IS THE REGISTRATION FEE?
The fee is $125 for all Tomboys Players. Registration fee includes season practice and play, league insurance, uniform (t-shirt) and admittance to the end of year picnic for up to 3 non-players per family.
15) WHAT IF I WANT A REFUND?
Our goal is to be flexible and fair. Any reasonable situation which arises, we will respond to. We ask for you to understand our needs of a time frame wherein we can fairly respond. Once teams have been formed and uniforms ordered, barring highly unusual or unforeseen circumstances, refunds will not be issued.
16) CAN I REGISTER ON-LINE?
Yes - click here to go to on-line registration.